With permission from the General Service Office in New York City, PDAP based its program on the 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. With a slight modification, we have created a 12 step program which focuses on those issues commonly dealt with in young people’s recovery.
We at PDAP have developed a way of life without the use of chemicals. By taking certain steps, not one of us has failed to find Love and Happiness in this Way of Life. If you want what we have and are willing to go to any lengths to get it, you are ready to follow these steps…..
- We have admitted that mind-changing chemicals had caused at least part of our lives to become unmanageable.
- 2. We found it necessary to “Stick with Winners” in order to grow.
- We realized that a Higher Power, expressed through our love for each other, can help restore us to sanity.
- We made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God, as we understand Him.
- We made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
- We admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
- We became willing to allow our Higher Power, through the love of the Group, to help change our way of life and humbly asked Him to help us change.
- We made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all.
- We made direct amends to such people, except when to do so would injure them, others, and ourselves.
- We have continued to look at ourselves and when wrong, promptly admitted it.
- We have sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with our Higher Power, which we have chosen to call God, praying only for the knowledge of His will for us and courage to carry that out.
- We, having had a Spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, try to carry our love and understanding to others, and to practice these principles in our daily lives.
These steps are not easy, but they are simple and they do work. If you follow these steps, we guarantee that you will find a way of life that is full of love and happiness and you will be armed with a way to cope with life’s problems. The key of love and happiness will open many doors.
HONESTY is the freedom from self-deception; the willingness to admit wrong; fairness in our dealings with others. With HONESTY we will develop FAITH and the belief that we can change with the help of God, as we understand Him.